Design and Technology
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of user’s critique.
- Evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
We chose this scheme because;
- It is authored by primary D&T specialists.
- Content is based on D&T Association's "Projects on a Page" and beyond.
- It provides a full scheme of work, easily adaptable to your teaching needs, time and resources.
- There is clear progression of learning throughout KS1 and KS2.
- It provides relevant cross-curricular opportunities.
How we support children with SEND in design and technology
All children can enjoy and achieve in design and technology and any SEND should not limit them in any way. Children should be encouraged to create using tools that reflect their understanding and appreciation of a variety of stimuli that are adapted where needed. Adaptations to equipment and materials can be made to allow easier access where necessary, along with extra adult support, extra time, etc.
What amendments are made to the subject in order to help children with SEND to achieve?
- Fostering a can do attitude, particularly with the use of new technology, equipment, methods, etc.
- A spiral curriculum (revisit and revise) - At the start of the lesson, children will be revisiting the vocabulary and keys facts you have learnt. This will give children with SEND more time and opportunities to understand the concepts and vital knowledge they need to access the learning.
- Support using tools for those with physical needs, such as spring loaded scissors.
- Interventions / daily practise where needed for those with fine motor difficulties.
- Visual word mats - where appropriate we will create a visual word mat or collage for children with SEND.